.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

strangeliz welcomes you!

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

lucky :P

I just read an article about "the secrets of good communication" by Larry King, and at one point he is saying that sometimes we prefer to use "difficult" words or larger ones to say something really simple... just to show to people that we know other words..."nicer" ones
EXAMPLE: instead of "discussing" we use "interfacing"
" "water,sewer and highway facilities" we use "infrastructures"
" "viewing or seeing" we use "perceive"
" "equal"...."coequal"
'' "use" ..... "utilize"
its like somekind of trendy talk...

well, i found it interesting, because most of those words that we tend to use in english are french ones...like utilize,perceive, infrastructures.. I actually feel lucky, cause I use those words in english but I do it unconsciously.I use them in french and they come out to me naturaly... So I would have never thought of this "trendy talking", and its excistance + if I don't know a word I try to find what I want to say in another language and then I translate it and..WOW everybody understands me, lol...so maybe its: 1)that english itself isnt a very "rich" language and u can use whatever word u want just changing the accent (its weird how it works,ok not always but it works a lot)and the spelling and 2)that english isnt the most "popular" language.For me spanish and french are...especialy french...it really helps me to understand texts and words that I dont know...but u must have a bit of imagination and some sense (logical)...
EXAMPLE: I have 12 units of Anatomy in English, and its difficult for everybody to understand,but I do...why? Firstly because i know my anatomy in Greek,so I know the subject im studying but mostly,because i have the great advantage to know french...So for me its just a question to know the scientific names of this and that and i'm done...

Yeap, I feel lucky

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home